Old Wasilla Townsite Local historians were quick to realize how much of the town's history was being lost to development, so they made an early and wise effort to preserve several cherished structures, including Wasilla's 1917 one room school house, the Herning-Teeland-Mead house, the Paddy Marion cabin, Walter Trensch cabin, Shorty Gustafson barn, the Blacksmith shop, a sauna bath house and the Capitol Site building. Behind the Dorothy G. Page Museum the buildings are attractively situated on lots laid out in the original 1917 Townsite and open to the public 5 days a week from May through September.
Built in 1936 by Mr. and Mrs. Herning, this wood frame house was the first house in Wasilla to have indoor plumbing. Mrs. Herning never cared for the house and chose to live at the back of the store which they ran. Basically, the house was used as a rest area until 1947 when Mr. Herning died and his wife sold the house and store to the Teelands. The Teeland family owned the house and ran the store until 1972 when they sold them to the Meads. Today the house sits in the Old Wasilla Townsite Park and the store is now operated as Mead's Coffeehouse.